Ayn Rynd is creating havoc in my family. My sixteen year old sister just finished 'Fountainhead' and has embarked upon 'Atlas Shrugged' .
So a couple of days back, Little Pinjit got pulled up in Physics class for not taking notes.
'How can I listen to what you're saying when I'm writing' - was the reply. (In all arrogance , might I add..), which took her all the way to the principal's office.
My mother .. poor poor woman. Tried to make Little Pinjit understand that sometimes one just has to pretend to write and or pretend to listen and have an expression of 'how-could-you-be-intelligent-sir' amazement on one's face no matter what turd the teacher might be talking.
'Thats how the education system works here , kanna . Its been like this forever. You cant do anything about it'.
Poor poor mom.
This greatly vexed my sister who started waving her arms about and screaming - I WILL change the system . That is the problem... no one wants to stand up and change the system. I will NOT write notes in his class. I go there to get an education , not kiss some teacher's arse.... yada yada... ' .
Now through all this , dear mother looks at Pinjit with an expression of deep worry and then she turns to me and says, Its that Ayn Rynd. She's reading too much of that. All that individualism and all.... Turns to my sister - I want you to stop reading that nonsense Pooja.
All this , ladies and gentlemen, was the highlight of my week .. My sisters ego was being attributed to some eccentric Amercian woman which wounded it furthur and she would talk to neither of us that whole day. She's still reading Atlas Shrugged though.
The PSA party was a success. Thank you all. It was wonderful. I dont think I've laughed that much in a long time.
Cheap chinese food , lots of coke and chocolte chip ice cream. Well what can I say. That and 7 highly hyper women from the same college. Full full fun only. Thanks for coming you guys.
I've just started reading 'From the Holy Mountain' by William Dalrymple.
I cant seem to get enough of the Beatles or Oasis. I think its all part of the I'm-so-pseudo-british-i-say-arse-and-not-ass phase.
This is me sighning out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment